Subject: Re: [Leica] digital photography - a BIG frustration
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 07:44:52 -0600

>can someone tell me what is the purpose of using the best lenses, waking up
>at odd hours, standing in the rain...etc... to get that super picture, when
>at the end, if it is to be published digitaly (i.e. web) the results are
>mediocre at best?

Because some day, the Web will be able to transfer that quality when
bandwidth catches up to our ambitions? :-)

There is a program called Debabelizer which is specifically designed to
optimize pictures done in Photoshop (or a competitor) that are large file
sizes to smaller sizes appropriate for the web. We use it at our Newspaper
to process pictures for the web. On a Mac it can be automated with
Applescript to do a whole batch of files in a folder.

Adobe has a new program, Image Ready I think is what it's called, that does
the same thing. But it's not automated like Debabelizer. They both cost
about the same last time I looked. Check them both out. Might be what you want.

I do my own pictures in Photoshop 5 and ignore all that stuff. I think they
look pretty good, if low resolution. But that will change as bandwidth goes
up. You have to know how to use Photoshop properly. There are no magic
"filters" or "functions" that will fix up your pictures. You have to use
your eye.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

There Are No Great Men, Just Men That Do Great Things.

Smith Wigglesworth, from along time ago