Subject: Re: [Leica] SHARPNESS
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 00:27:04 -0500

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Dominique PELLISSIER wrote:

>If sharpness is not the main criterium, why buy Leica lenses ? Nikon or
>Canon lenses are 3 or 4 times less expensive.

Several LUGgers have answered this extremely well.  For myself, I'm more
productive with Leica equipment: the balance of "sharpness" whatever that
is with contrast, color saturation, lack of flare, pleasant bokeh, fully
usable maximum apertures, consistent handling and reliability under adverse
field conditions found in Leica-R lenses suits my working style better than
the other equipment I've used.

My all-time favorite lens for wildlife photography is the 400 f/6.8 Telyt
which was designed in the late 1960s.  At that time its optical performance
was considered the best available.  I'm still delighted with the 400's
imaging properties.  Several modern lenses from several sources are
"sharper", but none have come anywhere near the f/6.8 Telyt's field
handling properties.  The handling, combined with the excellent imaging,
are what make the Telyt more productive than the N**** equipment I had
previously used.

Doug Herr
Sacramento