Subject: Re: [Leica] Question on the Metz 40 MZ-2
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:44:19 -0500

- --------------07CC89DD8AAE69EB6E401FF4

Pascal wrote:

> Friends:
>
> I am currently using the Metz flash 32 MZ-3 with the SCA 3501 adaptor on
> my R8.
> While I do like this flash, I am somewhat disappointed that, in flash
> bouncing mode (with the head tilted upwards) the subject has some shadow
> because the light comes from above (ceiling) downwards.
> I saw in a Metz sales brochure that the 40 MZ-2 has two light sources:
> the main head which can be tilted, and a small fixed one underneath.
> Can this flash be recommended? Does anyone have any experience with it?
> Would I be well advised to trade in my 32 MZ-3 against a 40 MZ-2? Are
> there other features/issues I should be aware of?
> Thanks for any help.

Pascal,

I don't know if you've tried this yet but it's an old newsphotographer's
trick and works quite well. Tape, velcro, rubber band or somehow attach
a small white card to the top of your flash to act as a "kicker" when
using bounce flash. It directs just a little light forward helping to
take care of those shadows and relieve the effects of top-heavy bounce
lighting.

My current favorite approach is to take a small piece of white plastic
bleach bottle and velcro it to the top of my flash. My other favorite is
to use white plastic disposable paint scrapers (you can buy them in
various widths) with the handle cut-off and velcro this to the top of
the flash. I usually set the bounce angle at about 75 degrees to
vertical. This allows a little forward kick of the bounce card while
directing most of the light upward.

I've used this technique both on and off camera depending on the time
and amount of control available. Sometimes I use a Vivitar 283
off-camera with the remote sensor and I aim the flash by hand to shape
the light on the subject so it has some directionality. Other times I'll
use my dedicated Canon flash on a light stand with the 10' extension
cord attached to my EOS. This allows me to set my lighting in place then
I can wander within the limits of the cord. The bounce again allows
directional lighting on my subject (usually interviewees) but also gets
light onto the background so that it doesn't become a black hole. Hope
this helps.

Carl Socolow
- --------------07CC89DD8AAE69EB6E401FF4

begin:vcard
n:Socolow;Carl
tel;fax:717-975-3354
tel;work:717-763-7760
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Socolow Photography
version:2.1
email;internet:csocolow@microserve.net
note:ICQ #9562608
adr;quoted-printable:;;P.O. Box 594=0D=0A;Camp Hill;PA;17001-0594;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;17104
fn:Socolow, Carl
end:vcard

- --------------07CC89DD8AAE69EB6E401FF4--