Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Apples and Oranges
From: Patrick Giagnocavo <pgiagnoc@qi.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:58:46 -0500

OK,

So I go to a local camera store where I get my film processed and
they have the new Canon EOS 3 sales literature there.

There is a shot showing the use of the AF sensor /eye control array
that sets focus to the area you are looking at.  It is a picture of
a young woman playing pool (billiards) .  She is in the middle
ground, in the background is a lit up pinball machine, in the
foreground is the corner of another pool table with a few billiard
balls well out of focus.  The guy she is playing with is holding his
pool cue upright, in front of a large, far away light source.

All the out of focus highlights are ELLIPTICAL in shape, including
out of focus point light sources from the pinball machine.  The out
of focus balls in the foreground don't look right either.  The guy's
pool cue doesn't look right either, since it is OOF and looks
"split".

I can figure out ANY manual focus SLR in less than two minutes.  It
takes almost 20 pages just to explain at a layperson's level what
the EOS3 does.

No thanks, I'll keep my high quality glass (currently Zeiss, soon to
be Leica) and focus manually.

./patrick