Subject: Re: [Leica] glamour/nude photography
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 13:42:24 +0000

><< I was taught a long time ago that 'Wide angle lenses are not very
>flattering
> because of the apparent fore-shortening of the face >>
>

>Note that distortion of this type is a function of distance, not lens focal
>length.  It is a common misconception that short focal length lenses produce
>such distortion.  This is not true.  It is the short distance between the film
>plane and the subject that results in this look.
>

>Tom Shea

I certainly agree with Tom, and would offer the following additional
explanation (the figures are for illustration purposes and perhaps not 100%
correct): If you use a 90 mm lens and want to make a portrait, then the
face will fill the negative if the person is about 1 metre (40 inches) from
the lens. However,  if you use a 21 mm lens, the subject to lens distance
will be 25 centimetres (10 inches) if you fill the frame with the face.

Shooting at 40 inches, the nose to lens distance will be approx 90% of the
ear to lens distance, and that is the relationship you are used to when
talking to  people. The size of the nose in relation to the size of the
ears will be what you are used to in real life. You tend to find such
pictures undistorted.

Stooting at 10 inches, the nose to lens distance will be approx 75% of the
ear to lens distance, and evidently this will make the nose look 'too
large'  in relation to the ears and the picture thus 'distorted'. (If you
always kept you friends, collegaues etc at 10 inches distance, you would
not find pictures shot at 10 inches distance distorted, but rather those
shot at 40 inches.)

If you always shoot at 40 inches, whether you use a 21 mm or a 90 mm lens,
the distortion would always be the same (you may call it nil), but the
images from the 21 mm lens would probably be grainer than those from the 90
mm if you blow them up so that the face have the same size whether enlarged
from 21 mm or 90 mm lens negatives.

BTW somebody guessed Jean Louis Sieff was a Rodinal user. Not quite. He
uses Tri-X developed in D-76

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58