Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: digital vs film ...help
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 08:57:43 -0500

Dead on  . . .

The LS 2000 and Epson Photo 700 have intensified my interest in film, if
for no other reason than that I at last have access to the *whole* process
from exposure to final print and that I can for the first time integrate
photography seamlessly into my living/work circumstances.  I can walk away
from a photoshop session and return to it as I choose.  Digital is an
incredible boon to those of us who are serious about film photography but
not especially well situated to set up and use darkrooms.

CHandos

At 08:42 AM 2/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>At 06:49 AM 2/2/99 +0100, you wrote:
>>A provocative question as a conclusion (not aimed at you specifically,
>>Jim): why are some of us so defensive on the input side of things at
>>shooting stage and, at the same time, so relaxed on the usage of crummy
>>scanners and consumer grade inkjet printers to produce the output from
>>our precious Leica APO-ASPH-f1 whatevers ?
>>
>>I find that the proponents of inkjet printing of Leica images before
>>2049 should be submitted to the same instantaneous flaming as the
>>proponents of digital as an alternative to film !  ;-)
>>
>>Alan
>>Brussels-Belgium
>>

>Hi, Alan -
>
>I respectfully disagree.  My Leica images scanned with the Nikon LS-2000
>and printed on the Epson PhotoEx are better than the Cibachromes that take
>so much work in the darkroom.  I'm just talking about color here.  I'm
>still working on the best method for scanning B&W.  The only problem with
>the inkjet printers is the fading.  Epson is working on that and is
>supposed to have a solution soon.  The scans from the LS-2000 are better
>than Kodak CD's and the equal of drum scans.  I love film and cannot see
>the day that I will go totally digital because of the quality of the
>cameras, not the scanners and printers.
>
>Leically,
>
>Tina
>

>Tina Manley, ASMP
>
>http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html
>http://www.pomegranates.com/frame/manley/index.html
>http://members.tripod.com/~Tina_Manley/index.html

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown/