Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W, TMAX100
From: Kevin Leong <kevinl@ind.tansu.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:40:21 +1100

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I have found developing tmax100 in anything to be very tricky as it
> perhaps wants more scientific consistency than I am up to at this point
> giving it after running my own film for 30 years.

I've found that D-76 1:1 gives good consistency - I used to run tests every month
and have noticed only a change in density of about 0.05 across seasons with
associated water and ambient temperature changes (although in Sydney, this is
only about 10 degrees C). My testing with XTOL is much less rigorous but the
results seem to be much less consistent - I'm not totally convinced that this not
due to my dodgy technique. I have noticed though, with the developers that I have
used (ID11, D-76, XTOL, TMAX), that sufficient agitation, at least as much as
recommended in the data sheets, is very important, especially when using a
multi-reel tank, filled to different capacities.