Subject: Re: [Leica] Need Lens advice, please help!
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 07:53:12 +0100

Richard,

I agree with you on the merits of the 35mm Summicron. I started out with
the non-ASPH version and upgraded to the ASPH in the fall because of the
better performance wide open. It is a great lens which can be used at all
apertures and in all situations with confidence.

In the 50mm length, I used to have a Summilux. It was a very good lens
and I was quite happy with it. But ultimately my need for speed led me to
the Noctilux, and I found myself with two 50mm lenses that were not
sufficiently different to justify keeping both. I traded the Summilux
plus some cash for a new Summicron. If I could not afford the Noctilux
and could have only one 50mm lens, I would choose the Summilux.

Nathan

Richard Edwards wrote:

> Of my M lenses, the 35mm Summicron ASPH gets the most use.
> It's small, comfortable, and provides a wide enough view without
> distorting the subject or reducing the subject to a small part of the
> frame. Also, the viewfinder for the non-HM M6 is sweet at 35mm.
>
> Second most frequent is the 24mm for me, followed by the 50mm
> Summicron.
>
> If I had to use only one lens, I would take the 35 Summicron. It
> probably doesn't matter if you get an older non-ASPH, as these
> are smaller and lighter than the 35 ASPH and perform about
> as well; in fact, for most things, exactly as well. Also, they're
> plentiful and cheap on the used market.
>
> And somebody on this group must have an opinion about
> the older 50 Summiluxes, if you have a need for speed.
> The 35 non-ASPH Summilux also has fans, and sure
> is small.
>
> -Al

- --
Nathan Wajsman