Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica USERS!(digital)
From: Rmusacchio@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:24:26 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/99 9:32:35 AM, freespeech@jalister.free-online.co.uk
writes:

<< I have become fascinated with
the possibilities of film scanners and would welcome any feedback on the
Nikon LS30 versus the LS2000.  I am very new to the whole thing of computers
and have a ingrained suspicion of anything DIGITAL so any help in overcoming
this would be welcome. >>

I've not used the latest Nikon coolscan, but I used the LS1000 extensively
and found that it tended toward sharp, but overly contrasty scans that also
greatly exaggerated image flaws such as dust and scratches.  I understand
that the newest version has an extended scanning range and software patches
that address these issue, but there are other scanners that work better.  I
have a Polaroid Sprintscan 35 Plus that is top notch.  It has a great
scanning range and although image flaws do show up, it doesn't have the
coolscan's habit of exaggerating them.  We regularly publish full bleed
images scanned from film and they look great.  We also output images on an
Epson inkjet printer and the results are spectacular.

PhotoShop is a good thing.  I wouldn't think of handling images for
publication in our newspaper in any other way.  The controls are very
intuitive and it's easy to make the switch from the darkroom if you don't
mind having more precise burning and dodging controls, the ability to adjust
color or black and white tones with near infinite range on the fly, and the
ability to revert to saved if you make a mistake.

From time to time, I get nostalgic for the smell of Dektol, and I'd love to
make a few prints for the wall, but in the real world of publication
deadlines and the grunt work of getting pictures on the printed page, the
days of the darkroom are passed.

Rick Musacchio