Subject: [Leica] Made for Visoflex vs. R lenses
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 09:04:59 -0400

On July 30, 1999, Andrew Johnson wrote:

 I consider at
least two of the made for Visoflex lenses(also usable on Leica reflexes
with
suitable adapters) superb even by today's standards. These are:

      --65mm f3.5 macro-Elmar

      --400mm f6.8 Telyt

However, the 200mm and 280mm Telyts may be limited in contrast and
resolution compared to the telephoto lenses that have been introduced by
Leica for the SL and R-series of cameras in the last 20 years.
I hope experienced users wish to comment on this subject.
<<<

Andrew,

The 400mm f/6.8 is as much an R lens as it is a Viso lens.  It was made in
much greater numbers with the R-mount than with the Viso mount.  It's my
most-used lens for wildlife and I'm delighted with its performance.

The 280 f/4.8 Telyt-V (mine is the last version) is not lacking in contrast
or resolution.  The R-mount 280 lenses are better- they're APO lenses! -
but the Telyt-V is still an excellent lens.

Doug Herr
Sacramento