Subject: [Leica] Apology to Bill R.
From: "Stewart, Alistair" <AStewart@gigaweb.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 15:18:34 -0400

Bill,

sorry if I didn't communicate so well - I was just trying to show that ebay
bargains can be found.

The len I was referring to was that 35 'cron in chrome, on consignment, that
we briefly talked about a couple of weeks ago. You were smart enough to
point out that it was in far too good condition (cosmetically) for me!

The point I was trying (and failed!) to make was that ebay can be a source
for good deals if you know how to work the system. This was just to offer a
counterpoint to the other ebay postings.
The owner of the 'cron you had on consignment wanted a (market) price of
$1000, very realistic, whereas on ebay one could (and I did) get a very
slightly lower grade lens (marginally older, black, but still mint) for 25%
less.

So, again, please accept my apologies for my miscommunication.

And for the Luggers out there who haven't dealt with Bill, consider this:
How many Leica dealers know their customers so well that they actually
advise against selling them something because the dealer knows it isn't
really right for the customer? Not many. Bill is outstanding to do business
with - people like he and Sam Shoshan really are the top notch, building
their business on relationships, not quickie sales. Using the term 'dealer
for folks like them actually demeans the role they have and the way they
fulfill it.

I hope that this clears up any misunderstanding (haven't checked later posts
yet!)

best of light,

Alistair