Subject: Re: [Leica] Current Events
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 23:40:47 -0500

At 11:40 PM 9/6/99 -0400, Marc James Small wrote:
>A jury or bench-trial verdict will be "not guilty" under the Common Law --
>meaning, "you are not found guilty".  "Innocent" means you didn't do it,
>and no criminal system will go that far!

So, no matter how innocent they are, your argument is that they are guilty,
because the judge can't call them innocent. Right? Wrong.

It's pretty clear from the text that they couldn't be convicted because
they were innocent, even if that finding is legally impossible. My ex, who
worked for a prosecuting attorney, told me about this innocent, not guilty
difference. From what I understand, they could be innocent as the day is
long, and yet people can keep arguing they are bad because the legal
definition of innocent isn't possible.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.