Subject: RE: [Leica] Help printing scanned Leica negatives!
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 09:13:23 -0000

Not to start something off topic, but I fail to follow. Printing a
scanned negative onto an inkjet printer is similar to projecting a
slide onto a textured ceiling. They key here is the outpost medium. The
garbage comes in the "out" part.

- --- "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:
> The irony of using a Leica camera and lens to expose
> a negative, and
> then use an ink-jet printer to make the print!  :)
>
> --
> What irony? The better the lens, the better the neg.
> The better the neg, the
> better the scan. The better the scan, the better the
> output. Isn't that
> essentially the photo corollary of garbage in,
> garbage out?

- -----

Two points...In the first place, the print quality of the current generation
of Epson inkjet photo printers can hardly be likened to a textured
ceiling....Is it identical to a silver print? Of course not. It is a
different medium. But it can produce quite stunning results...

And, in the second place, the point I was making was that the ultimate
output quality will be markedly improved by improving the input quality.
There is almost always an advantage to using the best possible quality
lenses to make the original image. Will that image be degraded by a less
than optimum printing medium? Of course. But the better the input, the less
degraded the output.

Cheers

B. D.