Subject: [Leica] Re: Shooting Leica wide open
From: "ctkhor" <ctkhor@pc.jaring.my>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 00:14:56 +0800

In my opinion a rangefinder like the M6 is the camera that can fully exploit
the fast aperture of a Summilux. If ever I start buying Summilux lenses I
will buy the M lenses.
Why?
The Leica M is not inhibited the SLR's flipping mirror and its inherent
vibration. With a steady hand and today's fast and excellent film emulsion
it is actually possible to shoot at speeds as slow as 1/8s and still obtain
a reasonably good picture ... handheld without support, that is. With a wide
latitude film like the Tri-X and a Summilux you hardly need to use flash.

This is my opinion, off course.

Regards,

James Khor
http://members.tripod.com/sattha29/index.html

Jim Brick said:

Now about wasting your money on Summiluxs. I have sold all of my Summicrons
and
bought Summiluxs. Not all at once. Over a period of two years. I'm very
happy
that I did. I use f/1.4 often enough to justify the cost. Everyone has a
different goal in their photographic endeavors. On my Hasselblad and 4x5
cameras, I have no use for anything wider than f/5.6. My M6 is a different
story. I often use it in situations that need f/1.4. Either for very low
light,
or for minimum DOF. Or both.

Jim Brick