Subject: Re: [Leica] R? was: How to manage a camera company?
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:21:27 +0200

From: Alexander <mediadyne@hol.gr>
Sent: Monday, October 11, 1999 05:07

> IMHO, the R series could become the 'rescue' for Leica
> if developed correctly.

I seriously doubt it.  Leica does not have the resources to realistically
compete with Nikon, Canon, or even Pentax or Minolta in the domain of the 35mm
SLR.  At best, this system could be made modestly profitable, but I don't ever
see it as being a huge success.

> The M series has reached what it seems to be an end as
> far as new developments go.

What's wrong with that?  The current design works and has proven itself over
many decades.  The fundamental principles of photography are not going to
change, so why is any new development necessary?

The only change I can see in the future is a digital back, and as some others
have pointed out here, the M6 would be particularly easy to adapt to a digital
back, because of the design of the camera back and base, and because the camera
is essentially manual, eliminating the need for fancy electronic or mechanical
linkages between the rest of the camera body and the digital back.

> So, the M6 in its various forms will probably be around
> forever.

Good!

> Now, the R series definately can use some help.

I have Nikon SLRs, so the fate of the R series is not an issue for me.

  -- Anthony