Subject: [Leica] Leica should have built the Hexar years ago!
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:26:01 +0300

Dan Cardish wrote:

> That's still a lot of dough for a camera that may not have the
> focusing accuracy to handle the fast M lenses, is noisier than an EOS
> camera, and whose autoexposure is based on the same white
> dot-on-shitter curtain as in the M6 (I think that's what was said).

I'm surprised at the price too. However, this is the price in France,
and the M6 costs $3,000 over there. So the Hexar is 40% cheaper. That
would mean $1,200 on US territory.

The noisy motor is a big mistake. Not the motor itself, but the noise.
In any case, this camera would not have been built if Leica were under
better management and had gotten there first. No matter how much you're
going to talk about not needing AE, the market want it, and Leica should
have served the market, instead of living on "what Leica is all about".
You can't live off "being about something"; you have to serve the
market. Now Cosina is going to make something like this, too, aren't
they. Okay guys.... I haven't said this before, but if Leica doesn't put
a M6AE on the shelves soon, they're history. They wouldn't be the first
German camera to go under, after pressure from Japan, would they. They
already run at a loss, and if the competition takes a slice out of the
sales-pie, then it's over.

Bernard