Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V12 #71
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 13:24:29 +0200

From: Paul Chefurka <chefurka@sympatico.ca>
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 1999 13:10

> I suspect that in the case of the trademark "Trinitron",
> it probably belongs to Sony for as long as they're in business.

Yes.  This is true for all trademarks, as long as the trademark holder actively
defends the trademark (if the owner of the trademark does not do this, it may
eventually be held to have entered the public domain).  I feel confident that
Sony still actively defends its trademark.

This is in contrast to patent protection, which grants an exclusive right to the
patent holder to control everything for exactly 17 years, but thereafter
releases the device to the public domain unconditionally.  So anyone can build a
picture tube with aperture-grille technology today, but he can only call it a
Trinitron if he gets permission from Sony.

  -- Anthony