Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lens recommendation
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 12:33:59 -0700

Bob my 75mm El Nikor which I got new for less the a hundred bucks (20 years ago)
did not test well against my newer much more expensive and with more elements
80mm El Nikor. At one point I got frustrated with the lower speed of the 80 and
did a direct test as I still have my 75. I can see possibly your Rodagon do not
give you an image flavour which is your personal cup of tea and I am used to the
Nikor results still now. Just as the 80 blows the 75 out of the water (I love
the simplicity and solidness of the 75 though) the 105 really takes the 80 to
task. So if you are fond of El Nikkor enlarging results. I would check these
options out. I think the 105 would be worthy of a strong comparison with any
high end German lens (especially if you didn't like them to start with :)) and
my 80 holds its own but I am looking for something very strong.
Mark Rabiner
The 75 may be optimized for enlargements in the 5x area.