Subject: RE: [Leica] On the Nature of the Leica CL
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:07:08 -0500

I hate to be the one to demur from the celebration of the Leica
CL...well...I don't really hate to demur, but demur I must.  I owned and
used a CL for several years, having bought it new.  The meter cell on the
silly moving stalk must have fallen out on at least five occasions (they
seemed to be stuck on with a primitive and brittle adhesive), on three of
those occasions, the cell jammed the shutter.  The shutter speed dial tends
to wiggle loose and will cease to operate after the most minor ding.  I
don't have huge hands, but I couldn't keep my fingers out of the rangefinder
windows.  I really disliked the way it dangled sideways on its strap. The 40
Summicron and the f/490 were wonderful lenses and I miss them terribly,
however I do not miss those idiotic collapsible rubber lens shades which
provided no physical protection for the front elements.

	Buzz Hausner

Richard,

The CL isn't fully appreciated because its design is so original. Owners
don't grasp its innovation because at first it appears so different from
what
they're accustomed to in a Leica. Imagine, having the back and camera strung

together on one strap! And the camera is carried vertically. The shutter
dial
is out of place as tho it were more important than lens focus. The film has
an internally hinged pressure plate which requires an extra step to load.
The
film spool has this strange clip and odd directionality. And so on. All this

discourages use of the CL. But that's my very argument: to be fully
understood and enjoyed the CL must be used frequently until working with it
becomes second nature. Then those great negatives come back and you know
what
good is.

Best,
Bob