Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Sensiometry
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 17:59:11 -0500

Jim Brick wrote:

> There are four zones.
>
> Zone Good, Zone Bad, Zone Ugly, Zone Butt Ugly.

Jim, great advice!  Actually, I'm probably using a variation of that same
methodology at the moment, although unfortunately I don't get to sip single
malt scotch with Ted too often.

However, even though I don't necessarily want to spend time *using* the
zone system (or some variation of it) I do want to *know* about it.  That
way, it allows me to understand better why certain things work and why
certain things do not.

For example, in the Zone Bad, you're increasing contrast through extended
development time (although I don't know why you'd sacrifice shadow detail
by exposing the film at 800 ASA), while in the Zone Ugly, you're compressing
contrast through underdevelopment.

Now, if I understood printing to a similar degree, I would know why my
prints (on the very few occasions that I manage to find a darkroom) look
like 18% grey cards regardless of what I do (it seems) and how people
who know printing can get the quality they do.

Rules of thumb, mnemonics, and tricks-of-the-trade are useful, but they are
not a substitute for thorough knowledge of the underlying process.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |    What boots up must come down.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |