Subject: Re: [Leica] was:Oh, yeah/ now heli & tripod
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 02:14:23 -0500

Ted Grant wrote:

> I believe there must be a few of us on the LUG who have helicopter
> experience in both civilian and military situations.
>
> Mine began in the summer of 1957 when we auto-rotated into the arctic ocean! :)
> Gotta be a few more around here with Leicas and helicopters in the blood.
> Lots of air time, maybe not too much tripod time though! ;)
>
> ted

One of the last times I was doing aerial photography was for an
engineering firm. I was doing photos of an intersection they had
designed and using my Hasselblads. I tie everything to me and I always
tape seatbelt buckles (a trick taught to me by an old pilot) because I
hate to have a camera strap disengage it while not paying attention. I
had my shot list on a mini-clipboard between me and the pilot. And of
course it wasn't tied down. I asked the pilot to come around again for
another pass on a desireable angle and he put it into a hard diving
turn. Whoosh! I felt something hit my leg and just caught the clipboard
out of the corner of my eye as it went out the door. I didn't see where
it landed. The pilot and I just looked at each other as we compared our
liability policies. Unfortunately, the only name on the paperwork was my
client's. I called them upon landing and told them what had happened and
that they would be the first to receive any news (probably in the form
of a lawsuit) if it hit anyone or anything. Then I called my insurance
agent and told her that there was a remote likelihood that I might
actually have a claim against my policy. I sweated bullets for two
months and watched the news for the next couple of nights. Usually, if
something is going to go bad it's going to go real bad.  Fortunately,
luck was with me. I never got the clipboard back but I'm glad about
that. Now, everything is tied down-- even my tripod :-)

Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/