Subject: Re: [Leica] Mr Put's comments
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 18:11:19 EST

In a message dated 01/16/2000 5:41:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
leicanikon@earthlink.net writes:

<< If Mike says he can't tell the difference, an experienced editor of a major
 photo magazine, I certainly don't expect I will be able to tell the
 difference either.

Of course you can, if the the test is set up correctly.

I do not normally get involved with this kind of thing. However, I can tell
you that the audio world has been arguing the objective/subjective thing for
years with no conclusion generally accepted by anybody except that
disagreement still persists.

However, I have run subjective tests of my own using a single role of
Kodachrome 25.  There was no problem seeing the differences among Olympus,
Nikon, Pentax and Leica slides when put side-by-side on a light table. The
differences were especially noticeable in the color casts and details of
shadow areas and the overall look of "hardness." BTW, with the exception of
the Olympus lenses, I owned all of the equipment.  The slides were so
interesting that George Knechtsberger, then the owner of the Photo-Cine shop
in Philadelphia and a major leica dealer, used the slides for many years to
show his customers the differences that different manufacturers designs
produce. I compared the same focal length lenses at the same time (within
minutes) with the same subject.

Subjective tests need to have as many variables held constant as possible to
permit any kind of assumption of validity.  I doubt that what is being
proposed as a "test" would have any control over extraneaous variables to the
extent that valid results would be possible regarding the relative "looks" of
the lenses being compared.

I also ran and still do run resolution tests both at the standard distance
and at infinity settings on all of my lenses. I do this whenever I buy a
lens, new or used.  I have had to send back several over the years, including
Leica samples.

Bob Figlio