Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital darkroom
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 06:49:10 +0100

Jiri,

Based on my own experience, a digital darkroom can be more productive
and more
fun than a chemical one. It is not cheap, however. You need a really
good
negative scanner and the costs of paper, ink etc. are quite high. But it
IS fun.

My own experience has been that I can make at least as good a print on
the
computer from a scanned negative or slide as I did in the traditional
darkroom. I
also have to say that B&W work is in many ways more challenging on the
computer
than color work.

If you are mainly aiming at scanning negatives, you can get away with a
lower-cost scanner like the HP Photosmart. If you also want to scan
slides, you
should look at the higher-end scanners like the Nikon LS-2000. For
printing, buy
the Epson 1200 (or the new 1270 if that's out yet).

Nathan

Jiri_Dvorak@idx.com wrote:

> I'm shooting with my M's regularly, but somehow not keeping up with printing
> (B&W). So I often think about a digital darkroom. Would I be more productive?
> Would it be more fun? Or the other way around? Anybody who switched from a
> traditional to a digital darkroom cares to comment?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jiri Dvorak

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland
e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
General photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator
Belgium photo page: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman