Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M5
From: Barry Hobden <bv215@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:30:18 -0800 (PST)

Hans,

Although the Leica M5 and the Leicaflex SL are two of my favourite
cameras, both unfortunately require PX-625 batteries to operate
their meters. Although this battery has become scarcer, they still
can be found in camera shops in some major Canadian cities such as
Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and (probably) Montreal. I purchased a
small quantity last year in Ottawa for about $6 CAN each. I also
discovered that the alkaline "equivalent" is no such thing; my
exposures were consistenly off when using that replacement in an
SL. Ultimately, I may need to have these cameras modified to
accept a 1.5 V silver-oxide cell.

My M5 is a three-lug model. I can't see why adding the third lug
would be a problem, assuming you can obtain the extra lug.
However, the position of original single lug on the to-be-modified
side of the body might need to be adjusted upward to achieve the
correct spacing when the second lug is added.

Regards,

Barry