Subject: [Leica] Death of a Leicaphile
From: Robert Appleby and Susan Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 08:29:01 +0100

Dear fellow Leicaphiles, this morning I am the bearer of sad news. One of
our number, my chameleon Socrates, passed away last night. I say "my", but
of course he was his own chameleon. He had lived with us for many years.
Socrates was the only reptile I have known who expressed a preference for a
particular brand of camera equipment. When placed on top of my M6 with
35/1.4 Asph (second version) attached, he would turn a deep black colour
with five small red disks on his sides and back. When placed on my wife's
Nikon equipment, on the other hand, his colour would change to green and
his eyes would rotate in opposite directions. No other chameleon of my
acquaintance has ever exhibited this behaviour.
We buried him this morning in an old red M4-P box in the garden.
He will be greatly missed.
Rob.
Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow
Via Bellentani 36