Subject: Re: [Leica] Hasselblad double Aspherical
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:45:27 -0500

Steve,

At the risk of answering for Mark I must say that I much prefer the
Hasselblad. I upgraded from Bronica ETRSi (645) to Hasselblad 500CM and
have not looked back. The images just have a glow that I never found
with the Bronica glass. Of course I can't speak for the 6x6 Bronicas.
But I've been extremely pleased with both my new and used equipment. I
now have the 500CM, a 503CW (which I much prefer because of the full
image view), a 500ELM (which I can take or leave but I got it cheap and
I use it mostly for aerials) and my latest, a 903SWC which is simply a
incredible piece of glass. I also have the 40mm CF/FLE, the 50mm CF/FLE,
the 60mm CF, the 80mm CF, the 120mm CF and the 180mm CF. All these
lenses are just incredibly sharp with the 180 being perhaps too sharp
for portraiture.

I have had wonderful warranty service from Hasselblad USA. I have also
had wonderful service from Brad at Precision Camera when I knocked over
the tripod with the 503CW and the 40mm lens. He recentered the lens,
realigned the body and rebuilt a film back that I had to use a
screwdriver to extract the film insert because it was pushed in so far.
These things are built tough. They are tanks. They are intuitive in
their layout and just keep going.

Also, as you note, you can find used stuff all over. And it's easy to
rent equipment for specific jobs.  And, if you decide to buy the 30mm
let me know so I can rent it from you since you're not that far away
from Central PA.:)

Carl Socolow