Subject: [Leica] Re: Re:50mm f1.5 Nokton question
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:57:41 -0800

 Ed

>>I've been using a Nokton on a IIIG with print film as well as the 75mm
Color-Heliar.  I printed some negs I took of my Grandaughter and was
delighted
with the results.  Central sharpeness was outstanding; I took the pics
mostly at
wide open stops so I didn't even look at the edges.  The lens "felt"
comfortable
on the camera and I couldn't be happier with the results.<<

I've never owned owned or used an LTM camera. I regret that I've missed
several opportunities, especially now that the Voigtlander lenses are out.
It's almost like being able to buy a brand spanking new engine for a
Triumph TR4 (An auto I once owned but sold, regrettably.) I have an BM to
LTM adaptor, but it's just not the same.

When I bought my first Lieca M in the mid-80s I didn't know an M3 from a
IIIc. I'd just bought an M3 when a lady I worked with offered to sell me
her deceased father's camera system. It was a IIIg in immaculate condition
with three lenses. Lacking knowledge of the subject I passed (after all,
the lenses wouldn't fit on my M3). I won't even go into what kind of deal I
passed up.

Several years later I bought a Summarit offered in a local classified.
Again the lens had belonged to a family member. The seller also had a Tower
body. I didn't know what it was, but it looked very "Leica-like". I paid
$100 for the lens. The seller offered the body for another $50, but again,
not knowing, I passed. Both the seller and I were perplexed because the
lens was BM and it wouldn't fit on the body. I still recall the guy's
puzzled look as he said, "I know my dad used this lens on this camera!"

I later discovered that the Summarit had a BM to LTM adaptor attached. I
still have the adaptor, and in fact use it on a 15 Heliar. I don't know
what the adaptors cost now, but I know they aren't cheap.  Ironically, I
traded the Summarit to another private party for a 50/2 DR Summicron. The
other party didn't want the adaptor even after I'd offered to throw it in
the deal, so I kept it. I knew it was worth at least $10 because I had just
seen two for that price at a dealer (Not a true dealer really, but a
Tobacco Store that dabbled in Leica gear. It was in Spokane, WA, where I'd
traveled on business.) All this didn't happen very long ago.

I know this is just a boring "if I'da only known" story, but it's a lesson
to myself. It pays to know what things are worth. It also pays to buy
accessories that are inexpensive, even if you don't need them. (I learned
the same thing regarding Rollei TLRs). I wish that I'd bought those two BM
to LTM adaptors for $10 each. I wish that I'd bought the IIIg. I wish that
I'd bought the Tower camera for $50.

I just know there must be something special about using older LTM bodies,
especially if they are in good shape. And even though I probably won't buy
a Nokton, I'm tickled pink that modern lenses are available for cameras
that bodies that were discontinued decades ago.

David