Subject: Re: [Leica] Almost Ready to Take the Plunge.
From: Chandos Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:33:51 -0500

couple of hundred frames with it.&nbsp; At the risk of inciting a hot
reaction, I'm prepared to say now that it's performance is not remarkably
better than the Russar 20/5.6, which I used for a couple of years.&nbsp;
I think that I got one of the *good* Russars, or maybe I have an inferior
Heliar, but I was expecting, on the basis of the raves here and elsewhere
an appreciably better lens.<br>
This is not to say, however, that it's a bad lens, far from it--and I
have no intention of getting rid of it--but critical users may be mildly
disappointed in the results.&nbsp; I was curious enough about all this
that I departed from my ordinary style and actually exposed a set of negs
using a tripod.&nbsp; I'm pretty confident that my comparison with the
Russar will stand up.&nbsp; The Russar exhibits far more vignetting
(which I never found objectionable), but overall contrast and sharpness
are to my mind pretty much on par for ordinary usage.&nbsp; <br>
Interestingly, I sold the Russar and finder on eBay for almost exactly
what I paid for the Heliar and finder--so I'm certainly not disappointed
in terms of their relative *value*,&nbsp; whatever that might mean--and I
am delighted to have the 15's field of view, but as I've said in another
place, the Contax G Biogon 21/2.8 blows them both out of the water.&nbsp;
I can't speak to the newer 21s for the M.<br>
Chandos <br>
- --<br>
Johnny Deadman<br>
photos:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
music:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;