Subject: RE: [Leica] Film flatness
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 13:41:36 -0500

> There is a 35mm camera (the Contax RTS III) with a vacuum back designed
> specifically to keep the film flat.

That depends on how it is implemented, and it may end up providing worse
results than expected.  The issue is what is the film plane?  Film has
different thicknesses, and a vacuum back must either be made to compensate
for it, or it will not be accurate.

I question whether this is useful technology.  It works for large prints
because you focus the enlarger ON the print.  Leicas, or Hasselblads do not
work that way.

> You think medium format is bad

Er, that was the point.  I don't think it's bad.  Do you have any images
that show this purported effect?