Subject: Re: [Leica] apo 90 versus 4/150
From: "Michael Darnton" <mdarnton@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:32:25 PST

  I understand Mike's posting perfectly. "Scientists" have reduced my field
(violinmaking) to a bunch of result-free drivel with their wishful thinking.
MTF might very well be a useful concept, but to reduce the whole of the
qualities of a lens to one single parameter strikes me as, well, absurd
minimalism. Simplification of concepts to numbers appeals greatly to
scientific types, and is certainly a useful strategy for developing
products, but in the acoustics field, at least, I've noticed that the
science types like to zero in on the things they can measure as being the
important things, and snub the things they can't measure as being
unimportant (classical sour grapes, in case you missed my connection). In
the main, it hasn't fooled violinists, however, and it doesn't sound like
the approach fools every photographer, either.
  --Michael Darnton