Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Long Leica glass
From: Harrison Mcclary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 21:36:12 -0500

once upon a time Mike Stoesz wrote:

> What are your personal experiences with the 180 f/2.8 and the 250 f/4?

Mike,

I have used both the "fat" 180 and the more current 180 elmarits.  Both are
nice lenses, but I'd spend the extra cash on the newer one as it has a much
nicer focusing ring and is much smaller and lighter and less prone to flare.
The newest one is an APO lens and is supposed to be awesome and is internal
focusing, I have never used this lens though.

I also have used the older 250 f4.  That also was a nice lens, but you may
want to think about simply getting the 1.4x and sticking it on the
180...that will give you the same focal length/aperature as the 250 f4 and
the 1.4x is much lighter, easier to carry and takes up A LOT less room in
your bag and you do not loose any optical quality in using that
thing...according to Leica.
- --
Harrison McClary
http://www.mcclary.net