Subject: [Leica] Snapping and social work
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 23:06:04 +0200

Tina said:

> I think Salgado and Natchwey expect that their photographs will make a
> difference in the way the viewer feels or reacts toward the subjects
> portrayed and that in the long run their photographs will make a difference
> in the world.  Upon viewing their photographs you might feel compelled to
> contribute to a charity, work for hunger relief, consume less yourself.
> You can't really say that about photographs of a flower pot or a sunrise.
<<<<<

and then Martin wrote

I wasn't thinking about it solely from the point of view of the
photographers, in terms of the photographer's intention.  I read Sontag's
comments on photography as comments on photography as a phenomenon, not as
comments upon photographer's intentions.  I agree with you 100% in your
assessment of their intention as photographers.  I'm also sure that, to some
extent, their vision is fulfilled by people who either buy their prints
(having part of the funds diverted to the subjects rather than the
photographers) or by people who are motivated to contribute monetarily or
otherwise through other means.
<<<<<

By now you're dying to know what I think, right.
Wasn't it Auden who said that if someone wanted to write poetry to make the
world a better place he should drop the idea, but if he enjoyed playing
with rhythm and arranging words in lines, then maybe he was onto a good thing?
I think you're all taking the idea of photography a litle too seriously
here. I take pictures because I like what I see and I like getting it on
film, and I'm sure that's the main motivation of any photographer. If he
also has a social motivation, that's secondary.
I think anyone who was primarily motivated by some worthy cause would take
bad pictures. Photography is a visual medium and good photography is good
because it works visually. That comes before anything else.
Maybe that's what gets Arthur worked up anout James Nachtwey. I can imagine
what it is to do that kind of work, you're in some horrible situation and
yet you're enjoying the visual patterns formed by what's going on. That in
itself may not be an easy thing to deal with. I can feel it myself when I'm
taking pictures in situations which might seem to require a different
response than simply photographing them. But too bad, that's just human
nature - we do best what we enjoy. And I think it's worth doing what you
can do well. After you've put down the camera, of course, you're free to do
whatever you want.
Just let's not confuse photography with social work. One is aesthetically
motivated, the other is motivated by the desire to change things for the
better. If they happen to aid and abet each other, that's OK too.
So now you know.
Rob.

Robert Appleby
V. Bellentani 36