Subject: Re: [Leica] Proper Hood for 135 Tele-Elmar?
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 20:08:02 -0500

Comments are interlineated

"Robert D. Baron" wrote:

> This question is for the hood experts:
>
> I just picked up a 135 Tele-Elmar (M), sn 221xxxx.  I assume the
> appropriate hood is the 12575.....which I gather is 'two tone'.
> Correct?  Is there a 'single tone' (i.e., all black) hood available?

The 12575 I had many years ago was 2 tone, but the one I bought new a
couple of years ago is all black.

> I've also seen hoods listed as 12575N.  What does the 'N' stand for, if
> anything?

Not sure about this one.

> Can the 12575 be carried reversed on a capped lens?

Well, it will reverse on the lens itself, then you put the 14033 cap on it
to cover everything.  Is that what you meant by "capped lens?"

> Is the 14033 'hood cap' for this purpose?

Yes

> And finally, can the rubber 11250 hood on my 90mm Tele-Elmarit 331xxxx be
> used on this 135 without causing vignetting?  (Not that I'm sure I want
> to, because this rubber hood always seems to be deforming in my bag.)

I'm not familiar with this particular hood, but a hood that doesn't
vignette on a 90 should be more than wide enough not to vignette on any
135.

> (I gather the 12575 can also be used on the 90 T.-E.)

The 12575 worked fine on my "fat" 90 T-E when I had it.  It fit reversed as
well.

Cheers,
Kip