Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: Tina nails it. now: kiss logic!
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:47:53 +1100

Christer Almqvist wrote:

>> made the picture better?<<<<<<<

Sure would, and did do for most of Sunday.  Got up really early, kissed wife
and kiddy goodbye and set off into the wide blue yonder.  A lovely sunny
still day.

A while later I saw the fox looking for its breakfast along a creek.  I was
soon out of the car and stalking back along the road with a long lens on a
monopod.  I followed the fox for a while taking a few shots and ended up
back near the car.  May as well switch to the tripod I thought, so out came
the Manfrotto 075 - 4.5 kilos of steadiness.

I found the fox again and this time took some mirror locked up/timer release
shots - they should be better than the monopod shots.  I was closer too.
The fox had gone down a hole, so I nipped back to the car and loaded up with
gear - camera bag, remote release, other lenses, food (lots!), water, chair,
binos, hat, sunscreen.  Then I made a couple of trips around a billabong to
a highish point in the middle of the creek, up nice and close, set up for a
good stay.

The camera was now optimally mounted with a long lens support forming an A
frame under the body.  I connected the electronic release, prefocussed the
lens, checked the camera settings, positioned the chair and started waiting.
It was 9 am.

At about 9.30 a pelleton of cyclists swooshed by up on the road.  One called
out, "Look, a fox, heading up the hill".  I saw it. My fox, I wondered?
Bugger!  Oh, well, I'm here now, let's see what happens.

At 12.00 I was alerted (well, woken up actually) by the little birds
sparking up.  There was the fox, 5 meters away, crossing the creek over some
fallen branches.  I don't think he noticed me!  No time for a shot, but I
got ready for it on the other side.  It reappeared but didn't pose, so no
shots.

At 4.00 I started taking some shots of rabbits feeding in the area, and then
at quarter to five a couple thumped their feet in warning.  The fox was
back, and in fine form.  For the next 30 minutes, it was in and out and up
and around right in front of my camera set-up, posing beautifully, at just
the right distance for nicely composed pictures.  I started with some grab
shots and then got more technical as the opportunity allowed.  In the end I
was getting clear shots with a fully locked up tripod rig, carefully
focussed, mirror up, remote released, everything just right.  The pay-off
for sticking around all day.

I would have liked a shot of the fox with a rabbit in its choppers, but
that'll have to wait for another day.  I also didn't get a shot of the black
snake that scared the **** out of me when it slid right by.  Yikes!

So, tripods can be really good in the field, but I like to work my way up to
one, so as not to miss out all together.

Regards

Rick