Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera Facts (Mostly OT but Interesting)
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:20:24 +0800

on 10/11/00 3:21 AM, Larry Kopitnik at kopitnil@marketingcomm.com wrote:

> One chart shows total SLR sales from 1995 to 1999. These are sales
> for all companies, not just Nikon (figures from the Japan Camera
> Industry Association):
>
> 1995:  3,390,000
> 1996:  3,530,000
> 1997:  4,100,000
> 1998:  4,290,000
> 1999:  4,360,000
>
> The chart shows Nikon's 1999 share as 20.9%. That would work out to
> 911,240 Nikon SLRs sold in 1999. And Leica sold, what, 5000 to 6000
> R8s? A sobering comparison.

Larry,

Sadly, the global annual R8 sales is no where as many as 5/6000 units.
Divide this figure by four is more like it.  I like the R8 a lot but somehow
in this part of the world the R6.2 still outsells the R8.  Now that Leica
has reduced the price of the R8 to Nikon F3 money, I sincerely hope its
sales will pick up.  But it may be too little too late......

Regards,

Joseph
Joseph@yao.com

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Camera Facts (Mostly OT but Interesting))