Subject: Re: [Leica] new delta 400
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:06:13 -0800

>I rememember websites saying that even the current Delta 400 pro isn't
>really worth the hassle compared to HP5+. If now the "new" d400 is tuned
>towards  a true 400 ASA, better "pushability" (is that correct English?)
>at the cost of larger grain, it will be closer to HP5+?!
>
>Hans-Peter

this is the feeling i have of it: hp5+ (and tmax) both push very well, ime,
and whenever i've need a little extra speed, and didn't want to go with a
1600 or 3200 film, i've loaded the camera with one or the other of those
two films, pushed them to 800 and lived with the grain, because extra speed
was necessary. i used d400 for everything else - it was sharp, the grain
was fine and my prints had a smooth richness that really appealed to me.

now with d400, the grain seems as prominent as with hp5+ and tmax. while
that is not altogether unpleasant, it is regrettable that a really fine
grain 400 is no longer an option. damian mentioned a film called fomapan
400; i'll give that a try as well.

the hunt for a fine grained 400 is under way.

guy