Subject: Re: [Leica] highquailty porn
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 22:51:56 -0800

John: I think I detect a bit of prejudice against classicism here.  It's
much like, in music, the Wagner disciple who also loves Beethoven, Liszt
and Berlioz, but disparages Mozart as "tinkly," and Brahms as all
technique, and not truly depicting the Titanic Struggle of Humankind
Against Fate, which the true Wagnerian believes is the One True Purpose of
Art.  Postmodernists have a similar problem for a different reason--they
can't stand the idea that great art could be accomplished under such
constraining, linear, and artificial principles which they believe were
just the reality construct of the oppressive contemporary power structure
as watered down into banality by the bourgeoisie.

I think Ansel Adams is a classicist.  He stressed perfection of technique.
Instead of idealized, heroic, Greek-proportioned human figures, he gave us
idealized heroic, Greek-proportioned granite domes and other natural
wonders.  Beauty for beauty's sake.

If there's one thing this past century has taught us, it's that there are
many ways of looking at the world, and most of the ones that are
universally admired after their trendiness has passed are worthy of
consideration, regardless of whether we naturally see or think that way.

If Adams' way of seeing is not yours, that's OK.  But to equate it with
pornography just because it doesn't float your boat is a bit over the
top.  Pornography is such a pejorative.  It implies sensual titillation,
with no other redeeming value.  If you find Ansel Adams' work overblown,
emotionally empty, a lot of visual sound and fury signifying nothing, or
the visual equivalent of Newtonian physics in a post-Einsteinian universe,
OK.  But pornography?  Nah!

My own experience:  When I went to Yosemite, I must say that the feeling I
got being there was very much like the feeling I got viewing some of Adams'
photographs.  Only being there was much more so.

(Aside:  This post earned me two hot peppers from Eudora!  Please pass the
Sturm und Drang sauce!)

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Johnny Deadman sez: