Subject: [Leica] RE: OT using HEWES reels
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:37:27 -0800

Stainless reels load from the inside out. The reels may have a clip, two
little prongs that stick into sprocket holes, or nothing on the inner most
wind (the core). Stick your film (cut off straight) into the center of the
reel, (curve/base out, emulsion in - and hooked to the core if there is
something there, if not, there is a gap in the center core into which you
poke the end of the film and bend it over the core to start the wind) and
while holding the natural curve of the film, start winding. The actual
start and first 1/4 turn is the most difficult. Once started, you just keep
winding, feeling that the film is not kinked or otherwise mis-aligned,
until you are at the end. Then cut off the spool, or tear off the tape,
whichever is easiest for you.

Jim