Subject: Re: [Leica] 0.58 angle of view
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:07:55 -0800

Hi Tom:

I looked through a .58 last week, and frankly I didn't like the finder.
It impressed me as being a bit toy-like. The view had an uncomfortable
curvature, I don't know if it's the finder combination with my eyesight
giving me that effect, or if it's a manufacturing design. If it's their
design, then I'm not impressed, and while it's something I would
tolerate from a brand-X product maker,  I really find it hard to accept
from Leitz.
By the way, that thing about taping the briteline window came in handy.
While I'm waiting for my 35'cron to arrive I've been using a 40'cron. I
use the .72 finder window with glasses, without mashing my face against
the camera it approximates a 40 view. Without any brightlines it makes
for a very clean field of view. That light little lens is perfect for walkabouts.
I used that setup, among others, to cover a rally today at a federal
bldg. in LA, the one mentioned in the Wall Street Journal, that diary of
the American Nightmare, and it worked like a charm.

Best,
 Slobodan Dimitrov