Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 with 50 1.0 Noctilux
From: "Bill" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:02:37 -0800

Julian Thomas writes:

> Ted, I know you spend more time than most of us doing low
light stuff. Do
> you never have problems with flare? I find even trying to
focus in a bar
> where there are spot lights in  the ceiling but the
overall light is low is
> hell because of flare. I remember meeting up with some
guys and comparing
> M2/3/4/6 and the 6 flared and the others didn't. What is
your secret??

Well, I am not Ted and I don't have a Nocti.  But I do have
an M6-hm and 1.4/75.  (Oh and I have complained about flare
and even went so far as to send the M6 for service).  The
work-around that I have found is to reduce the light
entering the frame illumination window.  There is two ways I
do this:  One is to temporarily past a small piece of red
filter material over the window (ala the old red filter
inserts for the rf on the LTMs);  the second way is to carry
a bunch of round stick on labels that are used for tagging
file folders, etc...you put enough on so that you hit a
balance between reducing flare and still seeing the
frameline  (You can also use these dots to cover the red dot
if you are so inclined ;-)  a green dot for when I am
feeling a green-peace).

I think one of the list members went so far as to use a
Sharpie marker to make a dot in the frameline illumination
window.

I have decided that I am not going to get bucolic over
design compromises and what works for me soothes my soul.

Regards, Bill Larsen

Message from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] M3 with 50 1.0 Noctilux)
Message from "Julian Thomas" <julianthomas@terra.es> (Re: [Leica] M3 with 50 1.0 Noctilux)