Subject: Re: [Leica] RE:The Nikon FM
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:04:17 -0400

Félix López de Maturana quoted someone else as having written - so this
is not a response to you, Felix, but to who ever wrote this in the first
place....

> "Now I've adjusted to it and can't understand how anyone can live with the
> contrast of
> the Nikon 50mm."

Assuming that one is doing more with one's gear than using it on a
tripod to take high res slides of rocks and trees, the important issue
isn't the contrast of the lens, the resolving power of the lens, etc.
etc. THE important question is:

Does the equipment get out of your way and, at the same time, capture
the image you have seen with your eye, heart and brain?

If the image capture tool that does the best job of getting our of your
way is a Nikon F with a 50 1.4 welded to the mount, then that is how you
can "live with the contrast of the Nikon 50 mm. If the image capture
tool that does the best job of getting out of your way is an M6 with a
50 summicron, lucky you. ;-)

I realize that after my accidental post the other day I am treading on
VERY think German ice here - :-) - but I will offer the heretical
suggestion - noting that in advance that there are exceptions to every
generality - that those who most obsess over the "quality" of equipment
and sharpness of lenses are those who - often - take the most mundane,
predictable, photographs. And I believe that is so for the simple reason
than they are far more interested and focused on the stats than they are
on capturing an original image on film.

But that's just my hardly ever humble opinion.

B. D.