Subject: [Leica] Colleague's camera
From: "Paul Bolam" <Paul@bolam67.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:56:02 +0100

A work colleague kept saying that he wanted to get rid of his Dad's old
camera. Having seen my "ancient camera" (his words to describe my M2 with MC
meter!) he asked me if I could tell him if his "old" camera was worth
selling.

Ages went by and he kept forgetting to bring in the camera. Until today, and
imagine my surprise when I undo the leather ERC and find a Canon 7S with
50mm F0.95 lens. Condition is poor but the shutter speeds seem to work fine.

The lens has what looks like a tiny foreign body inside (insect?) and fungal
growth in the centre. The aperture ring is very stiff to turn.

I phoned a London dealer who played it down by saying "there's loads of them
on the secondhand market, we would not touch it unless it's in very good
condition". I was a bit dismayed at this so thought you might help tell me
what its value is and whether it's still possible to CLA the body and lens?
Or is it beyond redemption?
Thanks in advance,
Paul.

Replies: Reply from "John Black" <jblack@ambio.net> (Re: [Leica] Colleague's camera)