Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica lens coatings
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 19:19:07 -0400

At 06:04 PM 5/10/2001 -0400, Austin Franklin wrote:

>Made great paperweights, I guess...

These include:

three 2/5cm collapsible Sonnars for Contax RF
one 2/5cm rigid Sonnar for Contax RF
one 2/5cm collapsible Sonnar for LTM
one 2/5cm rigid Sonnar for LTM
two 1.5/5cm rigid Sonnars for Contax RF
on 1.5/5cm rigid Sonnar for LTM

I have a slew of others, as well, including the vaunted 1.5/7.5cm CZJ
Biotar T.  Thanks to Steve Grimes, this puppy purrs along perfectly now.

I use these guys, Austin.  Their coatings are in grand shape.  In several
cases, I know that these lenses were used regularly from their purchase in
the '30's or '40's until today.

I am not criticizing Leitz:  heck, I have, and use, a slew of THEIR lenses
from this era, as well.  It is just that the historical record is clean and
clear that Leitz drip-coatings were not as hardy as Zeiss T-coatings at
this time.  Today, both companies share multi-coating technologies and the
phase coatings used on binoculars.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!