Subject: Re: [Leica] Copyright questions
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:07:30 +0200

Ted Grant writes:

> Well now son tell me and the crew exactly
> what you heard and what seemed to be the
> problem?

Essentially that the R series offers no clear advantage over other brands of
SLRs, except for the glass, and that it lacks many of the more advanced features
of other makes.  However, as I've said, I haven't tried an R series camera, so I
have no personal experience of this.  Since I already have Nikon SLRs, I have
little incentive to invest in Leica SLRs, and all my Leica investments are in
the M series, which _does_ offer special advantages in addition to the glass
(such as the advantages of a good rangefinder).

> Hell some of us have used them for many
> years creating a our daily bread and not
> had any problems.

I'm sure that's true, but the same can be said for just about any high-end SLR
(Nikon, Canon, etc.).  That is, there is no obvious advantage to using a _Leica_
SLR, as opposed to any other.

I had a reason to invest in the M, because it was something quite different from
an SLR, but I have no reason to invest in an SLR, since I already have lots of
those.  The glass is very nice, true, but then again, so is high-end Nikon
glass.

Replies: Reply from "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.)
Message from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Copyright questions)