Subject: [Leica] finderology
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 12:05:14 -0400

Dennis wrote:

"the M3 rangefinder is totally different in it's optics, how that plays I don't
know. It seems there are 2 versions of the M2 type RF though. The M6 version
different than the M2 version. Where the change came I dont' know, and keep in
mind a M6 finder can be easily installed in the M2 (but not in an M3, only the
M3 or M6J finder goes in the M3)."

Actually, aside from the M5, M finders are interchangeable within all
M2/3/4/4-2/4-P/6 bodies. What you cannot do is interchange frame masks with the M3
(so no .91 finder with 75mm framelines etc). With the M5, you can install the M4-P or
M6 frame mask so you can have the 28mm and 75mm lines in the M5 with its metering
system (but no .85 or .58 finder in an M5).

I have an M6 with M3 rangefinder inside and have had other finder conversions done
too. The body housing and outer shape of the rangefinder units are all pretty similar
(except for the M5), if not identical.

Emanuel