Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Q for the 75 Summlux-M shooters...
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 00:16:51 -0400

The out of focus on the Nokton can be quite distracting to be mild.  I
believe when the archives come back up there was quite a discussion on that
point with at least one person dumping theirs.  Another point of view better
expressed by some lad in Canada  is who cares about the oof if your subject
is nailed.  You will have to decide what is important to you.

Regarding the Leica 50's, none of the current crop are aspheric or even
designed in the last decade with the possible exception of the newest Elmar
in the M world.  However, you can't go wrong with a Leica 50.  Even a Summar
gets sharp by 5.6 or so.  I would even be a proponent of carrying a Summitar
or first generation Summicron.  Wide open to 2.8 they provide a sharpness
that isn't quite sharp that can be selected for just that effect.  When you
get to 4.0 to 5.6 they provide a very nice appearance of sharp.  They aren't
of course sharp(Nomex being fitted :) ) compared to the new asphers but I at
least find the look quite satisfying.  If you are shooting on assignment
then the above doesn't apply as you might have to produce the goods at 1.4
 someone say Sharon Stone) in which case that Summilux either in 50 or 75
looks mighty tempting.

Message from Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com> ([Leica] Re: Q for the 75 Summlux-M shooters...)
Message from "A Leica Shooter" <shooter@linux-info.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Q for the 75 Summlux-M shooters...)