Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:43:04 +0200

Austin writes:

> That's completely wrong.  Show me ANYWHERE that
> substantiates this claim.

Start with the work of Claude Shannon ("A Mathematical Theory of Communication"
is the classic reference) and Alan Turing.  Of course, others have contributed
(e.g., Boole, Nyquist, and so on).  It's quite fascinating.

> Information theory is a branch of mathematics
> that deals with measures of information and their
> application to the study of communication, statistics,
> and complexity.

Yes, I know.

> Try again.

I prefer not to cut and paste from other sources.

> Completely different.

No.  You appear to be confusing engineering difficulties with theoretical
limits, taking the former for the latter.  Unfortunately, if you allow yourself
to be limited by the former, it is difficult to make progress towards the
latter.

> That's your idea on how to designs things...
> they only have to work "some" of the time?

I wasn't discussing design at all, as I've already pointed out.  I was
explaining theory.

> It's like saying you can push 1000amps through
> a .031 wire.

Can't you?  Perhaps your wires are not of the same composition and at the same
temperature as mine.

> There are some physical properties that have nothing
> to do with anyone's understanding of theory.

Information theory is not a theory of physical properties.