Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG: 180 f2.0 and the ApoExtenders
From: "tdschofield" <tdschofield@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 05:35:07 -0700

I have used a non-APO 2x Extender R on my 180 Summicron with excellent
results.  I have used it primarily wide open, and have noticed no untoward
light fall off or loss of sharpness.  I have been delighted with the
results, even when playing with the 2x and a 30mm extension tube as a 360mm
tele-macro, taking pictures of flowers in the back yard.  Talk about bokeh!
The OOF background area is relevant only as far as color of the background
blur.  If my fence is in the backround, there is a dark background; if the
side of the house is in the background, it is an off-white color; if other
plants are in the background, it is a green blur -- no detail whatsoever.

I would like to also get a 1.4x, which is probably next on the wish list for
R equipment, to try individually as a 250mm f/2.8 and stacked with the 2x
for a 500mm f/5.6.  An upgrade to the 2x APO extender is waaaaaay down the
priority list, as I have not been disappointed with the one I have.

Tom Schofield

Subject: [Leica] LUG: 180 f2.0 and the ApoExtenders