Subject: Re: [Leica] Diluting developer: was: Ilford delta 100 dev. suggestions
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:07:21 -0700

Adam Bridge wrote:

> Could those of you who do a lot of darkroom work talk to me about this
> dilute developer thing? I was sort of under the impression that longer
> developer times resulted in a general increase in the size of film grain.
> Generally I'm looking to push grain size down as much as possible.
><Snip>

I've never heard this nor has it been my experience.
Longer development times just tend to mean more compensated, even, easier to
print negs.
But dilution more Will tend to give you sharper grain more defined as you are
using less of a dilution of Sodium Sulfite
even thought you are using that dilution for a longer time.
Sharp grain had gotten to be more desirable with more people in the past 10 or
20 years than a mush grain.
And mush grain usually means a non high resolution developer.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/