Subject: Re: [Leica] Need help with V35
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:49:31 -0500

Mitch-
I have the same problem with my later V35 and it is because I replaced one
of the masking blades, and when I dis-assemble the focusing helix, the
little metal ball and the spring behind it flew out and went who knows
where!!!
I have not checked with Dave Elwell at Leica- when I asked the price of the
little knurled screws that hold the lamp cove on the back, and the film cups
to the carrier, he told me $27.50...each!
Since then I have been afraid to call him!
However, if you don't turn the focusing helix after setting, it shouldn't
make a lot of difference- mine still autofocuses, but then I am a
'twiddler', and always use the grain focuser to make the final tweak!
If you have the newer one, you have the advantage fof using the newer, easy
to get lamps. They should be the 30v 80 watt ( I forget the number, I'll try
to look it up or open mine and see later today) and it does get warm, but
not dangerously so. If they have used the wrong lamp, especially one with
the wrong reflector, they can then generate more heat than light, literally-
and can happen if they tries to use a larger lamp.
I found out in my researches that the shape of the eliptical reflector is
important in that some are designed as 'cold reflectors' that reflect
visible light, and pass IR so that the mixing box doesn't overheat.( It is
styrofoam!) also, if the angle isn't 'tuned' to the focal length, then you
actually get less light, and more heat with a larger lamp! I am sure the
Leitz V35 is tuned for the specific bulb. I know the older one can be
retrofitted with a lampholder that holds the proper lamp at the correct
distance- only about $125 last time I checked!! :o)  . If you have the later
one, you are lucky- I'll check the lamp number and get back to you. Nice
pice of equipment, too!! Do you have the VC head or the Color head? The VC
head is a really good one for split printing, as you have just one knob to
twiddle!
Dan